Saturday, March 9, 2013

77 yrs.old, No Meds, 45.Co-Pay

        As I walked over to the Deli isle to pick up spinach flat bread, A womans' voice said, "I never thought I'd  see you here". I joked very little and said me too, usually I come early mid week so I don't see anyone. She said she was sorry. Oh crapola I thought, I didn't mean to hurt her feelings and in turn I apologized and said well, I'm off. I like to get in, shop quickly and out. But guilt set in and I made a mental note to be nicer next time I see her.
        As I'm leaving there she was again next to me. This time I slowed down. I would see her at my local post office from time to time walking with a walker. Today she had a cane. I asked on the way out, so are you feeling better using a cane? Then it came, rushing as if a flood. "No", she said, "my walker broke and I can't get another one yet because I need to go to the doctor but I can't afford the forty-five dollar co-pay."
        Oh Crapola again. She went on, "I'm seventy-seven years old and my husband died five years ago, so my daughter helps by paying rent but not much and I still don't have money."  We finally got out of the store and I asked her a few questions about , would she sit down with someone who could work out a plan so she wouldn't have to go without meds and doctor visits. She wouldn't. She told me, I'll see you at the post office and  my address is---- so now you know where I live. I just said okay, thanks.
      I watched her walk off to her vehicle and thought well at least she can drive and afford that to give her some freedom. But I got in my car and thought about her giving me her address. Why would she--- oh, okay, she wanted to  stop in and visit-maybe? That wasn't like me and I knew I wouldn't, but I did know that soon, I could put some money in an envelope and leave it for her at the post office. I know that wasn't her reason for telling me. Sometimes ya just have to vent and only want an ear, someone to understand and know that just because
your venting doesn't mean you want something for nothing. Old people and kids are the loneliest people. Sometimes people think old people just want to be left alone, and many do and sometimes people think,  how can a kid be lonely? Walk in their shoes and you'll know why.
        I rode home thinking long and hard about her and how fortunate I am. I know doctors have to be paid and maybe her doctor doesn't know her situation, but people can make payment plans, yet, how do you even do that if you just don't have the money. I remember her one small bags of groceries, her look of helplessness and the sign at the check-out asking for food bank donations. I make it my business each time to tack five bucks on, but usually if the cashier asks, or I just don't think about it.
       People might look at her and think, wow this lady sure has enough to eat, but I know how poverty is. I came from a large family and we all ate well every day and we even had apples and oranges, but that didn't mean my parents never made those big pot meals to stretch the budget. About three times a week we had, a pot of pea soup with either potatoes or sliced hot dogs in it, loads of bread and butter, then we'd have pizza sandwiches, very filling and of course some chicken or mac and baked cheese.  I still love Pea soup. Whew! Just think about that makes me want to go to the local convenience store and buy two containers of mac n cheese, and then, I think  about that forty-five dollar co-pay. There but for the Grace of God go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment