Monday, October 18, 2010

Norwegian's Christmas


Well it might be a little early for Christmas, but in a snap it will be here, so get ready, now go. No wait, not yet. When we talk about our favorite Christmas', what is it that makes them so good? Is it going to church? My kids always said that was a first when they were younger, looking forward to going to Christmas Eve services. The photo is my back yard/field last winter.

When I grew up and even in later years I wondered how Norwegians do it in Norway. So I found out by asking a cousin and my mother who was born there. Both had different stories, but not by much as my mother came to the states when she was eight. My cousin said they start baking and preparing weeks before, and cleaning, decorating and arranging time.

They do have Christmas Eve services but also before and after, visit homes. In the morning, Christmas morning, gifts aren't opened until after a big breakfast which consists of fish, eggs, struedel with berries, coffee and so many other fresh baked goods brought by family. A lot of family time is spent celebrating the reason for the season. Many gifts are handmade, like mine will be this year. That means, not made in China.
I have two huge Norway Spruce tress outside my house. In a million years I never knew how big they would get. Last year I wanted to finally put lights on them until I found out how much it would cost. Given two estimates of twelve hundred, I decided that's now what I would be doing after all.
Check out Norwegian sweaters sometime. I love them and a cousin made one for me once, but it was too short, and just didn't quite fit right. My daughter loved it and she wore it for a while, but it was too itchy. The only reason I don't buy and wear one is they are too warm for me. Still, I want one, my heritage and I claim that part more than the plaid side, much more. Well up late last night, off to nap a bit, grocery shop at a close by market and think about making a big Norwegian Christmas next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment