Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dear Mr. Vitalo ch. 5

        So now I was in the seventh grade and things really changed. My oldest brother Bobby was in high school and I heard stuff about him getting in trouble. Not my Bobby I  thought. But it was true. My parents were called up to Ft. Hamilton High and given a choice, take him out or we'll throw him out. Why? Because Bobby stood his ground, maybe not the way most would have done , but he did, and was partly wrong. A teacher asked him to pick up a paper. Bobby said no. That in itself was not acceptable, but he was being asked, which made him think he had  a choice. Oh before I forget, Bobby got to meet Mr. Vitalo, in his Marine dress blues at my eighth grade graduation. So now, Bobby says no, and the teacher comes up to him in his face and asks, what did you tell me? Bobby repeated, no, this time explaining. Why should I pick up trash from the PTA from the night before? They are adults to set examples, and on top of that we have a janitor, so if neither is doing what they're supposed to do, why should I? The teacher Slapped Bobby's face. Bobby then called him an F'n...well a remark related to his Jewish culture which he learned from my father. Still Bobby was old enough to know better at seventeen.
                        The next day he and my parents walked out of FT. Hamilton for the last time in Bobby's H.S. career. Within a week Bobby joined the Marines. Me? I went to school bragging about my big brother Bobby in the Marines.
          Little did I know Mr. Vitalo heard me and one day called me into his office as I passed. First it was, Hey MAC! Tuck that blouse in! Yeah, like old times, I smiled. On the way back it was, Hey Mac! Come in here. It was a Thursday. Here is what was different and new about the seventh grade. I was allowed to join Released Time School.

             Released Time School was held every Wednesday at Zion Lutheran, my home church at two in the afternoon, but we were allowed out at one-thirty to get there in time. It was only four blocks from school but I loved anything connected with church. So Mr. Vitalo only wanted to ask how I liked it and did  I learn anything. So Cool, we were having a conversation, and he asked me to sit down while we talked. I was not in trouble! Mr. Vitalo and me! Me, and him! But that wouldn't last long. Soon my father made me quit going, but made me lie so I would still get out early. His plan was I would leave as usual, but walk around a block out of the way so no one would see me, but I hated it and I think it showed the next time Mr. Vitalo asked me how thing were going.

     Within two weeks I was again called in the office, this time Mr. Vitalo, my Mr. Vitalo didn't look very happy. He said, so MAC, how is released time going? Looking away from him which I never did, I answered it was fine. He asked me, would you lie to me MAC? Oh no, my heart, knees and eyes dropped as low as possible when I mumbled, no Mr. Vitalo. He knew. I knew he knew something was up. Then he told me; Mac, I've been watching you (inside happy) and the past two weeks you have been crossing a different street. The first time he saw me he was crossing to go to the barber, but the second time he watched because he knew something was up. So now here we were, me biting my bottom lip and him just waiting. It was so quiet we never heard Mr. Hazel, the secretary come in. He said the church is on the phone.  Taking the phone,Mr. Vitalo only said, yes, yes, okay thank you Pastor.

                  Thank you PASTOR? Was he talking to my Pastor Don Smestad? Oh no, this was worse than ever. I had a crush on him too and to think two men I cherished knew I lied. Now it was almost out. Mr Vitalo in his wisdom told me to sit and relax. He gave me all kinds of praise for my character. I'm not too sure I accepted that since I never heard that before, so why was he saying this now. He told me. Mac, I know you have a good reason for playing hooky from church, so out with it. I said Mr. Vitalo, I can't, I'll get in trouble. He not only filled it in for me, but actually took care of it. Yet when he said he was calling my father, I think for a moment, just for a moment, not more, I didn't like him-until I listened.
          I heard him ask politely if he was speaking to my father, and said he had some bad news, that his daughter was playing hooky from church and since she did that she was no longer able to attend, that she won't tell us where she was going, so no more released time school, no more mid-week hooky. Mr. Vitalo smiled a mischievous smile and winked at me as he hung up, saying thank you for your understanding.
     I was laughing so hard inside, I was sure he heard me. Now off the phone he said to me, okay MAC, spill it, between you and me, tell me what's been going on. I told him. My father said I had to leave early but just go home so I can watch Jimmy so he can sleep earlier. Mr. Vitalo just nodded, then said okay, we'll keep this between us. As I left, I stopped and turned, Mr. Vitalo? I knew I still had uncertainty in my eyes, but he only had to say this: MAC when I say it's between us, it is. Smiling I walked away, but this time he stopped me. MAC, if you ever need to talk, I know you know where my office is.
    From that day on, knowing Mr Vitalo was there made every day a worthwhile day, made every day have a purpose and made every day, make me feel like I counted. That's, was who Mr. Vitalo was.

No comments:

Post a Comment