Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas in Brooklyn

         Just another week and it's over, but not in Brooklyn. At least that's the way it used to be. When I was in Brooklyn last time for Christmas, it felt the same. I stayed after Christmas and people were still wishing each other a Merry Christmas, in a store, on a corner, in a restaurant, and meeting old friends. But I don't find that here. People may ask, so how was your holiday, and that's almost everywhere, but they don't really care, because if you said lousy, how many would stay and listen or find a reason to beat it away from you? I know I sound like a real bummer this year, well of course I do. Have you read anything from last year I wrote? No because I didn't, so this is really simply reality.
         One year I tried out the expression, hi, how are you? I answered this well to do man honestly. I am smiling even now thinking back. We were at my son's grammar school and it was the principal, a very handsome man and we always had good chats. Having pretty much been a positive person, I was feeling crappy that day, a lot of back pain, so when I walked into school, I couldn't imagine that I was going to have to stand as a lot of parents showed up for this function. But there I was and standing next to Bob who I came to talk with on a first name basis. He sees me, smiles a welcome smile and says, so how are you?
         I say to him, well actually I feel pretty bad, my back is killing me, my car just broke down and I think the mechanic caused it but his father is taking his....and then Bob broke in with, sorry I asked and slowly eased his way away from me, patting my arm, saying I have to be off now. Don't ask if you don't care. It' is that simple. So here we are, almost Christmas again and people have all kinds of problems, health, money, family, spiritual and some we can't even imagine. On a commercial today for James Roberson who puts in wells for fresh water for kids in Africa I see kids with extended bellies, flies in their eyes and pain, so much pain, we couldn't even imagine the feeling, and here we are celebrating Christmas for all the wrong reasons, yet I too am guilty. Guilty of what? Really only being an AMERICAN and that I wouldn't change for everything in the world.
          Maybe next year I'll feel different, but I will still always be proud to be an AMERICAN and if I had a million bucks, I would be out there shopping with the rest of the nuts, but I would also give half away. Merry Christmas everyone, everywhere!  Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment