Sunday, November 7, 2010

Don't Laugh at my Profits

doozybags.etsy.com
At the very least, I did profit after all. Finally in my fourth year doing the same craft show I made a profit. I'll get to it in a minute, but you have to know a few things I did first.

First I listened. I listened to those who knew more than me, such as old crafters and someone who once told me, don't fall in love with your product. That can't be completely true for me, as I make things and I fall in love with the work as I now realize, but not the product. I do love what I make, the end result, but now, not enough that I have to be so firm on sticking to my prices. Every year I came home with what I brought except maybe two items. Not like other people, I never packed a lunch or snacks, but helped the church out by donating to all the soups, and snacks I ate. Money for sure would be better off with me, and I let them keep the change each time. This church is a very old church and fading fast so why not help thy neighbor as I'm sure they have done so in all the past years.
Now my profit. I sold my checkerboards for a lot less than what I wanted, my older signs which has some scratches,a buck each and my better signs for five each. All of those signs made some very happy. They got a bargain and I didn't carry them home again. In this economy, I too felt good in being able to sell an AMERICAN MADE product to people who, many had to watch spending. They loved my wooden boxes and benches too, and here is where I met a lady who I know had a very strong impact on me.
She loved my benches so much she asked if she could special order one. I never do that as I am just a person who can't commit.It feels too much then like "I HAVE TO". So I'm no longer making a product I simply enjoy making, but again, I have to. Now this lady at first appeared as if she wanted to talk, but in her eyes was an understanding, a kindness, and in her conversation she let me know what she did to succeed in business. I listened and listened some more, while writing a description of the bench I would make, and when I make this special bench I will show you. I Know I want to make this more than spacial, but with love for a Stranger. At the end of her talking to me, she suddenly smiled and said, I'm a cancer survivor. I can't tell you the emotional impact she had on me, not because of her telling me about being a Cancer survivor, but just something special in her eyes, and her face that made me change to making a commitment.
Oh the profit? Sorry, I do get off track. Forty-nine dollars! I say that with a smile. It was a two day event. Beside the profit, I did make back all the money I put into having three tables for both days,used a little for gas, spent, you won't believe it, about thirty five on food. One day for me, the second for myself and a child. A bowl of soup 2.25 I think prices were fair and the cooks were wonderful. But after three years and now here it is the fourth and BINGO 49.00! Determination and attitude. I know that I made a lot of people laugh and I dressed differently. Instead of my sloppy, I don't care jeans, I wore brown or black Khaki's with a light colored tee, did my hair a bit nicer, and finally made a difference. Next show 98.00? Smile.
The dress bag in the photo is a set with a nice blanket, and this bag is mainly for a child to putt issues in and have people come up to her and notice what an unusual bag she has, compliment her. The blanket is nice for the car, sofa or bed in addition to her regular blankets, and definitely nice for Spring. Off to sew some more.   http://doozybags.com

No comments:

Post a Comment