Monday, October 8, 2012

Iron Cross Bike Race Pennsylvania

       Have you ever attended a bike race, much less been an active participant in any way at all? I haven't. I've listened to my son talk about them, watched him at his bike shop, well the one he buys his bikes from, thebikeway.com, in Omaha Nebraska and heard both he and his wife talk about the bike community. (They even bought a little bike for his one year old son's birthday last year. At eighteen months he now walk/rides it. That too was bought at thebikeway.com and little Declan gets on, tries to put his helmet on and knows dad has to fasten it and off he goes, part of an early entry into a world he will always be part of.)
        Yesterday, my understanding of the bike community changed as I saw and heard it all, from a different perspective. Now I have a new respect for all of the men and women who do this, live and aspire to enjoy a better way of life.
       It started with the family getting up early enough to watch my son Mike pack his bike gear, along with his Puglsey, a heavy bike with fat tires onto the back of his vehicle. He checked his tires, had extra co/2's in case of a flat if not for himself for anyone who might need it. In his package prep bag he had energy bars, a three different bottles, one water, one for extra electrolytes, and I just can't remember the third bottle, along with extra clothes, heavier socks and a rain jacket which appeared to be a very slim piece of shelter.
         Out the door we went stopping for coffee, a breakfast sandwich, gas, and off we rode into the hour long ride to a place I haven't been to in years,Micheaux state Park also combined with Pine Grove Furnace ( a park) and Caledonia State park .  These three parks touch one into another so you can't tell which way is in or out, as I found out later in the afternoon.
          Finally I arrived. What I was met with was a large parking lot with all kinds of men as far as sizes and ages and their bikes. There were also women too, happily for me to see. I watched just about every guy do the same as my son Mike was doing. Checking and rechecking, warming up, signing in, checking bags for wives to take to the sign-in post. These plastic bags were filled with water bottles, energy bottles and snacks that would be waiting at certain check points. There would be four altogether and my sons' wife, their baby son and myself would stop there to see the riders fly by. The bags were brought to the check points earlier by drivers to make sure to meet the riders.
        As Kelly, MIkes wife Declan and I hopped into the van, we stopped at the roadside check points and saw the riders as they rode past, hopped up a rocky incline, one with a tree so near I am surprised that no one smacked into that tree. They were coming down the gravely road and about to make an unseen hard left into the woody trail. This left turn was barley visible, only noticed by a small yellow arrow. Thank goodness someone stood out front, well a few someones yelling, hard left,and pointing with hands and arms. As we stood a few zipped past the arrow.
         As that hard left was right before me I noticed a big hole, then a tree stump sticking out, so if a rider didn't see that immediately, he or she would have hit hard and flew backwards. Some did see it and jumped, but most only saw it at the last moment and had to come only a few inches from the tree to get onto the wooded path filled with more limbs and rocks. Seeing this, I wondered about my son and did he have more protection because of his Heavy Pugsley? I hoped and prayed so.
         Back in the van and on, we were told about Larry's tavern, that people could stop and get a beer. I want to pee. This was the first of what I was to learn was part of how this bikers community, communicated. The tavern, was just a car with a cooler of beer, high up surrounded by trees and waiting for bikers to pass. During that break I noticed men and women walking off in different directions to use the outdoor restrooms. Me? No way. I was afraid if I was to squat with my bad knees, I would fall over backwards, not able to get up and, well you can imagine help with that. I waited until the end.
      After the final stop my daughter-in-law got out, baby in his pack, all snugly and warm who had been fed the natural way, was happiest of all. Arriving at the last stop, the van driver wasn't sure if restrooms were close by and drove me down to where they were. Hiking back up to the top where food was, I tasted what I haven't have before in a burrito, black beans, rice, shredded chicken and
some kind of sauce. It was delicious. We sat outside and the baby ate from Kelly's burrito enjoying it as naturally as if he ate it every day. That's the natural baby. Finishing off with Moms milk, he slept.
    All around us stood the Bike atmosphere, all for one and one for all. What a camaraderie? Everyone had something in common. It was too long before I saw Mike riding in on his Pugsley, happy, satisfied and hungry, I felt like he came in first place. It was more than happiness for me to watch him ride it, it was pride and maybe a bit of envy. His wife ran to meet him, as I inched my way down the side of a hill and watched and listened to him talk to the greeter and a few guys who were giving him congrats,  a good job and more. He was happy, his wife was proud and the baby asleep. They talked about his Pugsley, how he rode, his fat tires and the challenge. It was about the challenge, not all of it, but also about the family. A biking family of men and women who look out for each other, cheer each other on and enjoy a way of life many just don't get, but I do, now I do. I am proud of you Michael, so very proud.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment