Saturday, October 13, 2012

My Texan & a Flat Tire

       Out the door and anxious for some alone time, I was on the way to another area, letting the kiddo have some overnight friend time, and  then I heard it, flub, flub, the smacking sound of a flat tire. My first thought was, crap I just let my AAA expire as I changed lanes to get out of the way. Almost jumping from his car and what a car it was, he said looks like you need your tire changed. He just took charge. What a feeling. In my truck and then into his to get a bigger jack, he just talked on and on, about coming up to see his son.
      I looked back and forth at his car, a bright metallic orange with about six chrome speakers in the vehicle and in the truck. It was not just a work of art, but of love. He then told me he did it all, that, that's what he does for a living. Everything about this whole presence was unique. His attitude, his car and his look, all as one. He stood about five-foot five, short dark hair, arms covered with tattoo's, sunglasses and a smile that never stopped. When he was finished he offered to call Pepboys for me, but I was close so I just went over, but not before I offered him something for going out of his way to help me.
     Hands spread out and backing away, he said no, no ma mm, no thank you ma mm, I didn't stop for that. Y'all have a good day now and hopped in his care and took off.
       I ended up at pep boys who had a two hour wait, much more expensive tires, and then to another tire place, same thing. Finally as I knew I was going to AAA to reinstate my card, I stopped in at Goodyear. Again, good service a less expensive tire and finally arrived at AAA.
       The events of the day left me a bit flustered as the boy with me thankful about the guy stopping too, but then expectations set in, and an attitude followed that. We stopped at Sub-way to get him a foot long and he asked if I was mad. No, I explained I was upset at his attitude when he let me know how he disapproved at not having lunch immediately after the tire was changed . He just shrugged his shoulders.
     This is some of what I chatted about last night-that moment of pleasure. I guess we all take in things differently. That moment of pleasure for me, changing a tire, a stranger stopping, wouldn't accept a dime, no strings attached just stays longer. I remember his face vividly and that he was from Texas, so Mr. Texas, I doubt we'll meet again, but I'll be sure to repay what you did for me today to someone else, maybe not in the same situation, but someone who just needs that feeling of a Texan in shining armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment