Sunday, November 10, 2013

Dedicated to Laura-Memories

Dear Laura

    We all know parents aren't supposed to lose their kids no matter how old you are. I spoke to your mom tonight and it was too long in a sad way because you're gone. You know she is shattered as is your dad and brothers and Lily will miss you too.

     Laura I know you don't remember this but before you were born I called your mom and told her I dreamed she had a baby girl with blond curly hair and two months later you were born. We are a big family of mostly boys so when girls are born, well, need I say more ?
      You were your cousin Jenny's best friend growing up. Many times you came here to visit and you and Jenny played boss and employee or school and sometimes you two cooked. Remember the kitchen scene, flour all over, but boy you two laughed, and were so happy silly. I was the lucky Aunt, as I would listen to yo say, but aunt Nancy don't you think..., always with a slight accent, again being silly.
        What about the trip your mom let us have to Chincoteaque ? That was a ball. You, me and Jenny took off on a such a kool and fun trip. You and Jenny. Mike of course was in the Army that summer. I just talked to Mike Laura and he is broken hearted too over losing you. He is coming in, to be with us all soon.
     Soooo Laura as we talked with saying sooo Aunt Nancy, that day at my house with Jenny, a hot summer's day and we talked about going on an adventure. I said why not ? You guys wanna go? All we have to do is ask Aunt Denise. Laura you jumped up and said, Aunt Nancy do you mean it, Jenny does she mean it. Jenny said, Laura my mom always means it. Laura, you laughed and said I love you Aunt Nancy, I'm calling my mom to ask if i can go.
     You got on the phone  and asked- and you were smiling as your mom asked if you needed money and extra clothes. You told her you had clothes but would like extra money. We all Laughed and stopped by her work. She gave you spending money and I talked to her on the phone, said, I'll watch her and take good care of her. That's so much easier when you're little, so much. Once you had extra spending money and we were on the road, a lot of singing and laughing went on.
     You and Jenny would wash each others legs on the second floor of the motel balcony, making designs and giggling and I was the lucky one. I took it all in. I am so thankful your mom let me have as much time with you as we did. Laura, I loved you. When it was time to leave, we started out with you in pajama's, telling me you were tired and they were the kind you can wear outside. So what I though as we drove on. You and Jenny fell asleep as I drove. We stopped for a late lunch and your hair was everywhere. Your thick blond hair was flying in the ocean breezes. We stopped at Rehoboth, played in the sand, went into shops and just had fun. Back in the car and finishing chocolate ice creams, you again fell asleep, still in PJ's.
       Some hours later I stopped for gas and supper. Waking you, now Jenny in the front seat, you popped up, hair all over the place and a chocolate face. Jenny stared laughing like crazy as I looked and smiled. We called your mom along the way to let her know we were on our way back. I asked if you wanted to wash your face and you said, Oh Aunt Nancy, this is the latest style, always quick and Jenny again bust out laughing. Well sometime about four-thirty we got home and what a great spur of the moment trip it was.
               There were trips to New York, but one special trip we stayed at The Waldorf. Remember that one? Three females getting ready for dinner, lights go out, too many hairdryers, and before that they gave us a wrong room, one with one bed and a bidet. Laura you were a joy about the bidet, asked if it was a fancy sink. But your hair just wouldn't dry. Now I call again to the font desk and this time they fixed our dinner reservation at Ill Cortile's in Little Italy and gave us a Limo for the night.
        Life was going by too fast as Jenny and then you got your driver's license's.
But we still had one more trip to take before you two became officially grown young women. We took a cruise. Laura you gave us such good memories. I heard someone say on TV tonight, all that's important is health, love and good memories. We sure had our share.
      So there were were again, asking your mom to let you come on a cruise. Now Mike lived in Erie and there was a purpose. Laura you never met her but he married a wonderful girl, Kelly and has two sons. Anyway your mom said yes, and off we went to buy gowns for you and Jenny. We took Royal Caribbean for for nights. I have a picture of you that gives me nice memories and of course so does Jenny.
     Jenny will miss you for  a long time Laura, and of course so will Vinny, Miles, mom and Dad. This doesn't make any sense at all, none. Death never does especially when you were so young.What will live on forever are the wonderful memories, your smile, your heart and goodness. You are loved so much Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment