Wednesday, May 1, 2013

George Jones, He Was Country...

      

 ...when country wasn't cool. Shortly before George Jones died I was listening to a Barbara Mandrel song and in it, suddenly George Jones comes in with, yeah, I was country, when country wasn't cool. Boy do I love that song.
    I have quite a few George Jones LP's and I lay them often. Each time I pick an album up I look at the worn corners from handling them over the years. For many years I wouldn't listen to my favorite ever country singer. That happened one day when I was talking to my kids about listening to singers who lived such a demeaning life, drugs, women beaters, drunks, and I think at that time we wee specifically talking about a man who died and left a trail during his years as someone who allegedly abused little boys.
    During this conversation it was my daughter, backed up by my son who said, but mom, what about George Jones? YOU listen to his music all the time and he...and she listed his issues. I didn't have anywhere to go except t say, you're right. Okay I won't listen o him anymore. She pushed even further, and again my son smiling in agreement said, and not even on the radio, right?
    I answered not liking this truth ad said, yeah right, not even on the radio.It was always important for me to set as good example as possible being a single mom, to both of my children. So they were tucked away, for many, many years.
    Then one day, a Spring day as I was cleaning and alone in the house, I went through my records and there he was. In between Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins, leaning on Willie Nelson who was nudging Eddie Arnold, stood, guitar in hand, that smile and perfect hair, ready to be listened to once again. It was time. My kids now grown and on their own, I knew I kept my word long enough.
    The songs, Ya Gotta Hold on, White Lightening, Walk through This world with me,Who's Gonna fill their shoes, The Door, Golden Rings and of course a latter one that hit high on the charts, He Stopped Loving her today. That one I have on a 45 in mint condition.
    What bothers me most about his death is how that news seemed to remain silent. The most I heard was from Billy Ray Cyrus who was on the view, a show I rarely watch anymore, but as I flipped through and saw Billy, I only hoped he would say something about George. I had to leave a few minutes so I know I missed things, however why wasn't the death of George Jones as important as all of the young actors who sadly pass from drug overdoses. George cleaned his life up and sure, it came late, but you know what follows that, better late, than...
    So long George, sin me, I'm Not Ready Yet

No comments:

Post a Comment