Wednesday, July 3, 2013

South Western Reg. Police York County Pa.

     Today I brought a young boy, just a new teen over to meet some officers of this fine police department. I already knew just how good they were, and I knew how well they did and do their job as I have had them to my home many times over the last twelve or more years.
     I made this appointment ahead of time and Sergeant J. Stalcup returned a message with  what basically meant, happy to help. Many kids who I work with have an attitude that the police are there just to bother them, and that's usually because the kids bring it on themselves. Never have I known an officer to just harass a kid. It's more like to help a kid, especially children with preconceived notions.
     Through all walks of their lives children meet the police in sad situations and it easier to blame the unfortunate officer coming into that situation rather than those who cause it.
                                        *********************
     This visit today, Sergeant Stalcup invited my little teen into a small room, and if I wanted to I was allowed to go in but I decided this kiddo needed to see, learn and listen first hand what areal man is like, what a police officer is like, man or woman. Officer Stalcup, after speaking with this child, returned to where I was, just outside the little room and gave us a tour. This kid had a dozen questions out of his mouth before the officer could say hello, yet patience on the officers part was obvious to me as an adult and as a parent, but also as someone who works with children, mainly boys.
        Sergeant Stalcup  during this tour introduced us to two other officers, one whom I again forgot her name (sorry) and the other officer, Officer Harrison who I also knew from coming to my home.  I remember his stance, his kindnesses and his way that silently said, it's okay, I'm here now. There is also a look of compassion. This was definitely a trip down memory lane. While this was my first tour, this was not my first time at South, Western Regional Police Dept. Yes, kids. However anytime any officer came in contact with any child I worked with, that officer, those officers came with respect, patience kindness and experience. Within that they brought character and integrity.
          This tour with Sergeant Stalcup was more than a tour, it was an invitation to the future for a child who previously may have thought he would never want to be a cop, an officer of the law as his very, very young memories which I cant go into are very different than many.  Stalcup spoke to him like a mentor, a friend, an authority figure and teacher. He did indeed teach this little guy a lot today. He taught and showed him the workings of what it takes to keep a community safe. He made eye contact, shook hands, and made him feel he counted. After all isn't that what most of us need?
      At the end, after a  feeling of a puffed up chest by making the car siren go off, turning on the lights, using the loudspeaker and more questions and answers, we headed on our way. In the car I asked this child if he thought differently now of the police. He said, oh I told him I never blamed them-sure. But with more in depth conversation I asked him if he honestly felt like he saw another side of the police officer at work as he was used to. Well he grinned a little and talked about all he saw, but more important all that he heard and he said, yeah, I really like that.
     So to the South Western Regional Police department, I thank you for opening your doors and hearts, giving in ways that many don't know about, all of the time and times your officers take at my home to talk to kids. As sad as that is in a way, I am thankful it's you at SWRPD who do come to my home when needed. Each time you leave, every single child has said the very same thing, Hey that cop was pretty cool! Ya know what Stalcup, Harrison, Greene, Matthews,  and on and on, you are all kool !
    Thanks,
    Nancy
     

No comments:

Post a Comment