Monday, February 2, 2015

IEP ? Educational INFO., Parents in PA.

     Wish I knew this to be all over America but if I found this in PA. you can find things just like it in your state.
   First I'll start by telling you who to contact in Pennsylvania for educational help. PEAL center for Education. That is a parents advocate group and so far have helped me with many things. Check out their pages and you will see a load of help and better yet-they reply to you!
   Second is PATTAN. I didn't find that but someone in my team (I'm a foster mom) did. Pattan is more about legal rights and laws.

Now here's the issues. Have you heard of ESY? Home bound? Well in the last few months I have. I knew about home bound but not like what I was given. I was told to drive my child to school for an hour, after school hours. Why because the teacher they found teaches during the day. This is Spring Grove school district. So I did drive him one day and the next day it stopped, personal, but with another situation ongoing I have learned the school has to provide transportation for that hour since they were the one to place him on home bound.
ESY, means Extended school year, and again I was told, but we don't have that, we don't have summer school. I was asking about ESY so the answer came as something I didn't know how to accept. I have now learned differently. If a child has in his or her IEP to attend ESY the school has to provide it, summer school bull crap or not. The IEP is the key for ESY. If your child is so far behind in grades, maybe you could have them  receive a psychological exam, get an IEP and have the school teach instead of pushing kids through grades because they don't want to bother=no child left behind, so a kid gets out of 12th grade only knowing about fifth grade academics, won't be a candidate for a vocational school so where will he or she end up? JAIL
                 You see we think, oh well we don't know what else to do, the school said.....and that's the problem. We have to fact check & confront. Your Child's future is at steak!!! Give your child a better chance. Just because he or she is not a start athlete or academic genius does not mean they don't deserve a fair opportunity-it means they deserve a different opportunity to fit who they are! Damn I'm mad. Get angry, search, find and apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment