Sunday, February 12, 2012

There but for the Grace of God go I

     I used to wonder many times what Grace meant and only understood when it was said as in the title. More and more it seems I find myself saying, There but for the Grace of God go I.
     A few days ago, in a waiting room as I sat by the door, suddenly the door opened and an elderly woman walked in all bent over pushing a cart with wheels and holding a small oxygen tank. Behind her stopped and stood still her husband, no tank, no cart, but bent completly in half holding a cane to assist in his walk.
     Quickly, and that's something for me, I moved from my safe seat to as far away as possible, yet hesitating wanting to ask if they wanted help. Usually I would just help, but since the young woman behind the desk only said hello and are you okay over there "Bob" I stayed where I was.She knew them. My thinking was maybe they prefer not to have help and I understood that. It's a matter of pride and dignity. The man was well dressed, slender with a thin moustache, and his little wife, stocky, with short curly hair and fine glasses, wore jeans and a plaid quilted jacket.
      He finally, was able to sit without assistance and started to unzip his jacket. Again I felt myself lean over and about to get up, but his wife said, oh honey I'll get that. She wheeled her cart over to him and took zipper and jacket in hand and made it work. I was too slow. They were about late seventies.
      All of the time I wondered who drove and at almost the same time I thought-wow, just ya when think ya have problems. But how is it they drive? I figured out too that one disability didn't have anything to do with another. His vision seemed fine, but who knew about anything else? Maybe she drove. I was called in and left within a few minutes as they were called in and as we passed, I had to step aside to let them through. He led, she followed.
       Yesterday my daughter and I were in touch off and on as the weather was iffy. She was supposed to come up and we were going out to party with a few kids. There was a birthday to share the day with and get silly. But the weather worries me and I told her stay home. We have plenty of time to get together. We hope and pray that don't we?
         She called me later in the afternoon after leaving a friend at the hospital. Her friend a thirty-two year old, young woman was just found to be in stage four cancer. No children but she is married and an only daughter. She is a very large sized young lady. During the last three to four months she was seeing her family doctor who told her the pain she was feeling was Irritable bowel syndrome also known as IBS. Closer to the time he finally sent her for tests said, well maybe it's your gall bladder. She went for tests and is now where she is.
        Her name is Jen and she tells my daughter, I don't know how to be brave, all I want to do is cry. My Jenny tells her to be who you are, cry, don't be brave, it's more brave to be who you are and that she will be there for her friend, any time, night or day. Yup, that's what friends are for. Her prognosis isn't good, but Jenny and I talk, and we know as many do sometimes doctors say that when they just don't know, but fight, fight and fight some more. Never ever give up. Again we think as Jenny and I have talked about that phrase-There but for the Grace of God go I.
             Shortly after Christmas, my friends son in New York was diagnosed with AML and given possibly five years if they can get him in remission. He is still hospitalized on Chemo, and only thirty-eight years old. Hope is now renewed. His prognosis has changed with doctors saying it is possible for a cure, or permanent remission. There but for the Grace....
          Look at all the children who have cancers of all kinds at St. Judes. There but for the Grace of God go I.... Why are we as in the United States not finding cures for these cancers? I don't like to be a doubting Thomas, but look how quickly the US found medicine to keep under control and now even in so many people no signs of HIV and or Aids.Why? Politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment