Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Selling Your Home, Wills & Family

       Just when you think you're all set, life throws you a curve ball. If you're married things are different. Owning a home and one spouse dies, usually you don't have anything to worry about-usually. Make out a will. I did-unknowingly. I didn't know what was to come that would make me want to change my will and sell my home. There was a time when one of my kids said, mom, we can work anything out" talking about who would get what. Well those were empty words as I came to find out and from the person who made that statement. It's heartbreaking and I only decided to sell my home to insure that no one can contest anything in the end.
     Without getting into details, I know that there isn't anyway I'd want my kids to come together at my funeral with the animosity one feels without just cause except what's in their thoughts. So the best way to deal with  my old will is to make a will that expresses things in a no nonsense way. Now I'll get to enjoy all of the benefits of selling my home instead of doing what I wanted which was, to leave it to be divided between my kids. It isn't a lot but enough for either one to possible start  a business, buy a new car, pay bills etc.
       As every day passes I'm getting used to the idea of letting go and starting another piece of life, apartment living. It's a very nice apartment complex, with a pool, gym and community gatherings.I'm very anxious for the pool and gym and maybe even getting to know neighbors, still not sure about that. The best part is I'l be closer to one of my children and close enough to drive to see my other child and grandchildren-if invited.
       Taking chances is fine as long as you have a back-up plan with back-up money and this home has given me that. I am looking ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment