Monday, September 8, 2014

Stifling Education-Overloaded Stimulation

      As I sat at my computer listening to this guy which I never do, sit and listen that is, it hit me. We all educate to some degree, but we are not school teachers. Kids are made to sit and listen in an environment that is stifling.
      When I last went into a room for a child with  add/adhd it was filled, loaded, overloaded with stimulation, colors, books, colors, papers, games, chairs, tables, colors, sitting corners for relaxing and this was top to bottom.
     Not my first time in a class such as this and they are all the same. Another one had computers in it along with all of the other stuff. What in the world are the trying to do? These are classes for kids who can't, don't and won't sit still and as educators don't they know kids aren't meant to sit still ? So what do they do, antagonize kids with all of the stuff surrounding them. I'm sure not intentional, but possibly to peak their creative minds ? Yet, aren't those same children taking ideas from what's already been done instead of being creative on their own. Yes, I know, society does the same.
    Yet in a class it's different.
Start with a blank slate. Give kids a drawing, writing pad and pens, pencils and let them go for  a few  days. Let them talk to one another. I know teachers, you have to give a schedule of what you have to teach, but does it have to be so scheduled and the same, over and over again?
     Ask them at the start; What do you want to learn? Yes I know again they have to learn and pass certain subjects, but make it more enjoyable, and then maybe you'll enjoy it more too as when you first had that passion to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment